The Khartoum government on Wednesday called on the Security Council of the United Nations to condemn Israel for its alleged airstrike in Sudan
October 26, 2012- The Khartoum government on Wednesday called on the Security Council of the United Nations to condemn Israel for its alleged airstrike in Sudan. The alleged airstrike created a huge explosion and subsequent fire in Khartoum at an arms factory, killing two. Sudan, analysts have said, is used as a route for arms-smuggling to the Gaza Strip that is controlled by Hamas. Khartoum blamed Israel for strikes that have taken place in the past, but Israel has never commented or said it neither denied nor admitted to any involvement.
Ehud Barak, the Defense Minister for Israel said he could not say anything about the subject when asked by a local news station. One of Barak’s top aides, Amos Gilad, would not make a comment regarding the incident however, he referred to the role of Sudan in assisting terrorism.
Late Tuesday, a large fire started at the Yarmouk factory in the southern part of the capital. The area had been rocked by huge explosions said witnesses. It took over two hours of work by firefighters to put out the blaze at Sudan’s main small arms and ammunition factory.
Ahmed Belal Osman, the Information Minister in Sudan said that four planes attacked the arms factory and they believe that Israel is behind the attack. He added that the planes had appeared to approach the factory from the east.
He also said that Sudan had reserved the right to hit back at Israel. Al-Hayat a Pan Arab newspaper reported that the U.S. had closed its embassy in Khartoum because of protests taking place in front of it on Wednesday. Speculation in Sudan’s capital was that the U.S. embassy closing was an indication that authorities from the U.S. had known prior to the attack that it was going to take place.
Khartoum also claims that they had inspected the weapons used in Tuesday’s attack and were able to determine they were from Israel.