Subscribe to RSS

Technology back to homepage

Report: Apple to Start Production of New Generation iPad Report: Apple to Start Production of New Generation iPad

April 10, 2013 - Earlier reports bouncing around the tech world suggested that Cupertino, California based Apple would be releasing it next iPad sometime in April of 2013. However, a recent report claims Apple will start its production on it next iPad, its fifth generation, during July or August. The report said it gained this information from sources on the supply chain in Taiwan.

The new iPad, reports said, is expected to have a screen that is 9.7 inches in size and be bother thinner and lighter, than the fourth generation iPad. Sharp and LG Display are reportedly producing the new display for the next generation iPad, while TPK is making the touch panels.

The newest iPad is expected to have thin bezels, as did the iPad mini. Much speculation has gone on as to when the launch of the new iPad would be. Some reports have said during October, while others suggested April.

The current generation iPad and the new iPad mini were both introduced during a special Apple event held in San Jose, California in late October of last year. Apple was able to shock many customers and tech people with its launch in February of this year of the fourth generation iPad’s 128 GB version.

Rumor also suggests that the tech giant is gearing up to unveil its new iPad mini that will have a Retina display. Alleged photos of the next generation iPad mini with the Retina display were shared online back in February of 2012.

Apple, as was reported earlier, is trimming its shipments of the iPad mini during the second three months of 2013. Reports say the cutback in shipments could be as much as 20% during April and the decrease could continue gradually through the other two months of the quarter to bring the total shipments to only 10 million for the quarter.

News Corp Threatening to Pull Fox off the Air News Corp Threatening to Pull Fox off the Air

April 10, 2013 - News Corp, owners of Fox network have warned it will be taken off the air and changed into a cable network if the courts in the U.S. do not stop Aereo, Inc an Internet startup from retransmitting different shows such as “The Simpsons” without their permission, said Chase Carey the COO.

Fox and all of its affiliates would stop their broadcasting and serve just pay-TV customers in order to protect the billions of dollars it spends annually on different programs. Carey made the announcement to TV executives in Las Vegas. Last week an appeals court in the U.S. rejected the pleas of the broadcaster to shut down Aereo, owned by Barry Diller.

Carey threatened to bring upheaval to traditional broadcast television to counter the effects posed by startup Aereo. The startup is supported by Diller, who is the former founder of Fox. If other networks such as ABC, CBS and NBC follow suit it would end television the way it has been since the 1950s. No comment was made by the other major networks, since the ruling by the appeals court.

News Corp. controlled by Rupert Murdoch its CEO and Chairman was up 2.5% on Monday to $31.41 on Wall Street. The company’s stock price has increased 23% since the beginning of 2013.

CBS Corp, which owns the most watched network in the U.S., was up 2.2% on Monday to close at $46.19, while Walt Disney, Co. the owner of ABC increased by 1.9% to close the day at $58.82, and NBC’s owner, Comcast Corp was up just 0.2% to close at $41.63.

Carey received support from the largest Spanish language broadcaster in the U.S. Univision Communications Inc.

ITC Says Samsung Infringes on Apple Product Patents ITC Says Samsung Infringes on Apple Product Patents

The ITC Judge found the option for text-selection had infringed on the patent, but the featured that was able to detect if something had been plugged into the microphone jack of the device did not infringe on Apple’s patent.

The decision by the judge must now be reviewed by the entire commission. It the decision is upheld then the ITC could ban the importing of devices that infringe on the patent, into the U.S. The majority of mobile phone manufacturers that at one time faced being banned by the ITC, have altered their existing devices instead of having the products pulled from shelves of stores.

No comment was released by Samsung over the decision by the ITC judge. In October of last year, the same judge found that Samsung was guilty of infringing on four of Apple’s patents along with three of Apple’s utility patents for its translucent images and touch screens on a computer display.

The complete commission then reviewed the judge’s decision but returned it to the judge for another review of two of the patents. On March 26, the judge issued his ruling and that decision was then unsealed on Friday.

In a district court in California, Samsung was battling Apple in two other separate cases. Just recently, a judgment of $1.05 billion was reduced by $450 million by a judge and ordered another trial on 14 products made by Samsung. However, Apple has requested that $85 million of the $450 million that was dropped by reinstated by the judge.

Unlimited In-Car WiFi to be offered by Audi Unlimited In-Car WiFi to be offered by Audi

April 05, 2013 - Audi buyers can receive unlimited 3G WiFi in their new car for just $15 a month. The hotspot service called Connect WiFi is backed through a T-Mobile 3G connection and could be the biggest and boldest leap thus far in technology for an automaker in 2013.

There is a catch however. You have to sign up for a contract of 30 months up front for a cost of $450, which for new car buyers starts after six months as the automaker is offering the first six months free. Users preferring just month to month WiFi service can still use the $30 per month that Audi offers. The WiFi service is through T-Mobile, which is used worldwide by Audi.

Audi promotes the new service as unlimited WiFi, but better said it is virtually unlimited. It is for the most part an all you can plan said Brad Sterling the communication manager at Audi. T-Mobile however, has the right to limit users that are extremely high volume, but the manager said he was not aware of that ever happening.

Audi also said that its WiFi included car access to real-time weather, news, Google Voice Search, Google Earth and connections for up to eight devices inside the car.

Audi became the first carmaker to embed a cellular modem and a hotspot WiFi in 2011. Chrysler Corp did offer it earlier, but Audi’s was factory-installed and Chrysler’s was an add-on.

Other automakers are now jumping onboard. BMW announced a cellular modem including WiFi, as a dealer option but has not yet delivered it. The modem will connect into the dock for a smartphone in the vehicle’s center console in order to use the cellular antenna on the car.

However, BMW is still working on the details as to which carrier it will use and how many different simultaneous connections will be allowed.

Huawei See Little Growth in U.S. but expect more in Asia and Europe Huawei See Little Growth in U.S. but expect more in Asia and Europe

April 04, 2013 - China-based Huawei, the second largest maker of telecom gear in the world behind just Ericsson, announced that its growth in the United States would be hurt in 2013 by security concerns in the U.S. However, wireless network vice president of the company, Bob Cai, said that Huawei is expecting its wireless-network sector to grow in both Asia and Europe.

In the U.S., the company has been hit by two large setbacks over the last six months. Last October, a congressional report was released that said Huawei and ZTE’s equipment critical to infrastructure in the U.S. could undermine the core national security interest of the U.S. Both companies have disputed the claim the report makes. If that was not enough, last week, Softbank and Sprint Nextel pledged to not use gear made by Huawei following their merger.

Because of this, Huawei is now counting more on other markets overseas, as well as China’s domestic market, for its growth this year. In 2011, the wireless network sector for Huawei accounted for $7.4 billion or nearly 23% of the total revenue for the company.

The group generates 70% of its entire revenue overseas and said its biggest current markets are located in Western Europe as well as the emerging markets of Asia such as in Indonesia. Huawei has built trust, said Cai, with its carriers in Europe.

Just as the smaller ZTE has done, Huawei is putting faith in the domestic market in China for growth on the nascent LTE network. The three big wireless carriers in China – China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom are all building out their infrastructure for LTE. Combined the three wireless giants of China will spend over $56 billion on expanding the 4G network during 2013.

In 2012, the company had $1 billion in sales from the LTE network and Huawei expects to double that to over $2 billion in 2013.

Firefox receives Patches for Private Browsing Firefox receives Patches for Private Browsing

April 03, 2013- On Tuesday, Firefox 20 was shipped by Mozilla adding more flexibility to private browsing and patching 13 browsers bugs, five of which had been rated critical by the security team at the company.

Along with the changes in privacy, Mozilla also changed the download manager of Firefox and added a tool that warns of a crash when a plug-in has hung for a minimum of 11 seconds. The offending plug-in can then be shut down by users rather than needing to reboot the browser.

However, the Private Browsing option has been the biggest change in Firefox. Previously the browser saved the current tabs and then opened one individual privacy window, then would reload the previous tab when the privacy mode was shut down. However, users can now open a private window and leave the browser with its tabs already open, untouched.

Mozilla announced the release of Firefox 20 on a blog post and billed the change as helpful when shopping online or checking multiple emails simultaneously. However, others regularly call similar browser features “porn mode” with the belief that is what they are used for most of the time.

With the new Private Browsing with per-window, Firefox is nearly on par with Internet Explorer 10 and Chrome, both of which have per-tab private modes.

Privacy mode in some way is offered by every major browser. Safari was the first browser to incorporate one back in 2005, that was followed by Chrome, then Internet Explorer and Firefox all in 2009 and Opera added it in 2010.

All of them work almost the same, lettings their users browse the Internet without leaving any obvious traces as the mode shuts down the recording of sites that are visited and files that have been downloaded. It also prevents both passwords and cookies from being saved. Any type of lingering evidence is purged when the session is ended.

Headlines

Genocide Trial in Guatemalan Suspended Genocide Trial in Guatemalan Suspended
One Suspect in Boston Killed, one on the run One Suspect in Boston Killed, one on the run
Musharraf Flees as Bail is Revoked Musharraf Flees as Bail is Revoked
Some Say New Immigration Bill too Stringent Some Say New Immigration Bill too Stringent
read more

Sponsors